How Can I Make Moving Out Easier?
How To Make Moving Out Easier
While moving to a new home is certainly exciting, it can also be stressful and emotional. There are a lot of things you can do to make sure your move goes as smoothly as possible.
To make moving out easier, we recommend taking these five simple steps:
- Make a moving binder to organize all documents and create a moving checklist. Creating a detailed to do list of everything that needs to be done will help you prioritize the most challenging of tasks, rather than putting them off. This also helps you avoid feeling like you keep forgetting to do something. Some things to include on your to do list might be requesting time off from work for moving day, requesting school and medical records you may need, getting estimates from moving companies, arranging for utilities to shut off at your current home and turn on in your new home, requesting pet records from your vet, etc.
- Decide which items will move with you and which will not. About 6–8 weeks out, we recommend identifying items that will not be making the move and those that will. Different colored sticky notes can work well for this. Then, decide if the unwanted items will be donated, trashed, given away, or sold at a yard sale. Getting rid of items that do not fit in your new home will make moving easier. This will also save you money in terms of moving expenses.
- Declutter & pack—start sooner rather than later. The longer you wait to complete a task, the more stressful the task will be. Tasks like decluttering and packing should be done over several weeks or months—you would be surprised how many things you can pack way in advance because they are not items you use regularly.
- Label everything clearly & consistently. Figure out what your method will be for labeling boxes and use it consistently. We recommend labeling boxes with the name of the room they need to be placed in on the other end (i.e., kitchen, master bedroom, guest room, etc.) and also listing a few key items on the outside of the box (i.e., pots & pans, toaster, spices, etc.). This will make unloading the truck easier and will help you prioritize which boxes to unpack first.
- Accept help when it is offered. During a move, you will likely feel like you can’t do it all on your own and that’s okay. Rather than trying to juggle too much, one of the best things you can do for yourself during the move is accepting help from family and friends when it’s offered.
If moving out has you stressed, we understand . . . and we can help! College HUNKS Hauling Junk & Moving specializes in ensuring our customers have a stress-free move. In addition to providing full-service moving services, we also provide labor services if you need help getting prepared before the move, and junk removal services for any items you decide not to take. If you have questions about planning your move, contact the moving experts at College HUNKS today.