Moving On Up - May is National Moving Month
Moving On Up
According to the most recent census, almost 12% of the total US population moves every year. One of the most popular reasons for moving is housing-related or because those moving “Wanted new or better home/apartment”. May is National Moving Month. Whether you are moving on up to a deluxe apartment, greener pastures or Beverly Hills we have some tips to help get ready to go.
Decide what you want to take with you to the new place
- Go through your home room-by-room about 4-6 weeks before your move and decide if all your current furniture/decor is coming along. Put a post-it note on those items you don’t want to move to the new place.
- If there are items you no longer need, lighten your load by donating items, selling through a classifieds website, or gifting to friends/family.
- Tip: Don’t forget the go through the attic, basement and/or garage while you are deciding on what to take.
Purchase moving materials
- Here are some items to have on hand to start packing: moving boxes of various sizes, heavy-duty packing tape with a hand-held dispenser, bubble wrap, newspaper, permanent markers, sandwich baggies (to save nuts & bolts from furniture), box cutter, scissors.
- Tip: Check out online classifieds for used moving boxes to save money. Boxes in good shape can be reused and resealed
Start Packing Non-Essential Items
- About 4 weeks before your move start packing non-essential items; extra linens, photo albums, pictures, décor.
- Put heavier items on the bottom of the box and lighter items on top.
- Fill space in boxes with extra linens or newspaper.
- Do not overfill boxes; boxes should be less than 50 pounds and should be able to close without any contents protruding out.
- Tip: Be sure to label each box with its designated room at the new place. Example “Master Bedroom” or “Kitchen”
College Hunks Moving can help you every step along the way with your next move. Our licensed, bonded and insured team can help with packing, getting your donations picked up and also provide full-service moving to your next home.